Summer in Campbell is in full swing with the at the downtown, at and, kicking off the Friday night events through the summer tonight is the Sundown Cinema.
The cinema is in its ninth year now and is put on by the Downtown Campbell Business Association and Social Wave. Although the event is free, and is mostly volunteer driven, each night costs about $500 to put on so donations to the donation jars that night are welcomed.
Sponsors of the events this year include the , , Therapy, Allstate, , State Senator Joe Simitian, Wax Bar, , , Friends of the Campbell Library, , Padgett, New Life Covenant Church and .
The first movie of this summer's events is The Shop Around the Corner, a 1940s romantic comedy of errors starring Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan.
Movies will be shown outdoors in the parking lot next to near the corner of E. Campbell and Central avenues. The parking lot opens at 6:30 p.m. and shows usually begin between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m., once it's dark enough to see the film.
Don't forget to bring a chair and a blanket but please leave the alcohol and smokes at home, both are prohibited at the event.
Sundown Cinema 2012 Movie Schedule
- June 29: Shop Around the Corner (1940)
- July 6: Rocky (1976)
- July 13: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
- July 20: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969)
- July 27: Harold and Maude (1971)
- Aug. 3: The Big Sleep (1946)
- Aug. 10: Mary Poppins (1964)
- Aug. 17: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
- Aug. 24: The Candidate (1972)
- Aug. 31: Audience's Choice (halfway through the season, there will be a collection of nominations)