This is the first school board meeting of the year for and the items on the agenda pack a punch.
First up on the agenda is a discussion of the addition of 25 Rocketship Charter schools, recently approved by the Santa Clara County Office of Education and their possible impact on Campbell Union.
According to a Mercury News article in December, the additional schools would be located within eight local school districts, including Campbell Union School District.
The transitional kindergarten program, officially named the Kindergarten Readiness Act was written by Senator Joe Simitian and was signed into law in October 2010. It requires that children be 5 years old in order to start kindergarten, but provides an additional year of “transitional kindergarten” to the children that will no be able to start kindergarten because of fall birthdays.
The school board will also be accepting the following donations:
- $10,000.00 from the Wells Fargo Foundation to benefit the instructional program at Campbell Union School District.
- $1,500.00 from Burr Pilger Mayer to benefit the reading program at Blackford Elementary School.
- $1,000.00 from the Wells Fargo Foundation to benefit the instructional program at .
- $1,500.00 from eBay to fund 8th grade Career Day at Campbell Middle School.
- $10,000.00 from the Capri PTA to purchase 11 iMacs for .
- $975.00 from Glenn and Shirl Wippich to support the Science Camp program at .
- $675.00 from the Winchester Neighborhood Advisory Committee/Invidia grant to purchase Second Step materials.
The meeting takes place at 155 N. Third St. at 7:00 p.m. and is open to the public.