All eyes, and markers, were on the this year.
"Discover Campbell Library" was the theme of the Campbell Civic Improvement Commission's 9th Annual Poster Contest, open to fifth graders throughout Campbell.
Last year's theme was "Be Fit and Healthy in Campbell" and included posters depicting food pyramids, the Campbell Community center and its track.
This year, posters showcased books, computer screens, CD players and comics. There were about 70 entries.
Lynhaven Elementary School fifth grader Mary Jo Mendoza took home the grand prize, a mountain bike for her poster.
"Truly, it encompassed everything," said Sherrie Doherty, recording secretary for the civic improvement commission. "It shows what your imagination can do."
The winning poster had open books, brains and a visual of a desktop with an open book. Other visuals include a leg, a sailboat, a fish, hearts and rainbows, rocket ships, a whale's tail, ABCs and people holding hands.
"I think Campbell Library is everything a library should be," Mary Jo said in a statement. "When you pick up a book, you will discover so many new things that will make you want to explore and read to gain more knowledge about things that exist and I am excited about it."
"Since I just came here, I think that this can be a place where I can make friends with aside from my school no matter what our language are, you are welcome in the Campbell Library. This is what my poster represents."
All of the winners were recognized and presented certificates and prizes at the May 10 Civic Improvement Commission meeting and will have their posters will be on display in the Campbell Library through June 1. All other posters submitted will be on display in storefronts throughout downtown during Third Friday Artwalk this Friday.
- First Place: Mary Jo Mendoza, Lynhaven School
- Second Place: Rohin Tangirala, Challenger School
- Third Place: Vy-Anh Nguyen, St. Lucy Parish School
- Runner Up: Aaron Stoll, St. Lucy Parish School
- Runner Up: Matthew Hidde, St. Lucy Parish School
- Runner Up: Sammy Ricci, St. Lucy Parish School
- Honorable Mentions: Tyler Ghajar, St. Lucy Parish School
- Honorable Mentions: Bianca Mantovani, St. Lucy Parish School
- Honorable Mentions: Ava Schroeder, St. Lucy Parish School
- Honorable Mentions: Morayah Horvitz, Forest Hill School