*Updated Aug. 24, 1:24 p.m.
The recent spike in violent crime taking place in San Jose has grabbed the attention of its neighbors, including Campbell.
Two incidents in particular occurred close to home: a murder in the 3000 block of Van Sansul Avenue, and in the 3100 block of Cadillac Drive.
"Criminals obviously do not respect or care about jurisdictional boundaries or city borders," said Campbell Police Capt. Dave Carmichael. "The Campbell Police Department monitors crime trends and activity that occurs on our borders."
Along with monitoring activity, Campbell police officers also attend area intelligence meetings and briefings to "stay informed and help prevent crime in our community," Carmichael said.
Campbell PD communicates most frequently with the following local police departments:
- San Jose Police Department
- Santa Clara Police Department
- Los Gatos Police Department
Other county law enforcement agencies are also contacted on a daily basis.
"Frequently, a field contact conducted by a Campbell Police Officer may be instrumental in solving a crime that took place in a neighboring jurisdiction," he said. "We believe that this collaborative approach better serves the broader community that we all share."
In order to stay on top of emerging trends, Carmichael said that the police department looks to a "strong proactive, rather than reactive, approach."
"We recognize that gang violence or other crime trends occurring elsewhere can also take place in Campbell," he said.
The last homicide in Campbell took place in 2007, and was gang-related according to Carmichael.
"Campbell is not immune from gangs or gang violence," he said. "However, we aggressively target criminal gangs utilizing a variety of law enforcement tactics. Our goal is to make it as difficult as possible for gangs to operate successfully in Campbell."
San Jose Crime Stats
- 1:39 PM at Charles Street and Oakland Road (shooting). Victim: Martin Chacon, 38, deceased.
- 4:04 PM at 2300 block of Denair Avenue (shooting). Victim: Victor Mendoza, 21, deceased.
- 6:31 PM at W. San Carlos Street / Meridian Avenue (stabbing). Victim: 60-something-year-old, deceased. Suspect, Marquis Reynolds, 37, in custody.
- 2:32 PM at 3100 block of Cadillac Drive (shooting/gang-related). Victim: 25-year-old in hospital and expected to survive. Suspect, Julio Cesar Vasquez, 18, in custody.
- 6:00 AM at Northwood Park, Guildhall and Carington drives (homicide). Victim:38-year-old, deceased.
- 2:49 PM at 200 block of San Jose Avenue (shooting/gang-related). Victim: 15-year-old in hospital expected to survive.
- 5:15 AM at 3000 block of Van Sansul Avenue (shooting). Victim: Manuel Luis Fabie Jaime, 52, deceased.
- 9:01PM at 1600 block of E. San Antonio Street (shooting). Victim: 30-something, in hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries.
- 6:39 PM at 1900 block of Story Road (shooting/gang-related). Victim: 23-year-old, deceased.
- 8:37 PM at Safeway grocery store, 3002 Story Road (stabbing). Victim: 20-something, deceased.
- 7:13 p.m. at 1100 block of Fair Avenue (shooting). Victim: 40-something, in hospitl with non-life threatening injuries.
- 10:51 PM at S. King Road / Burdette Drive (shooting/gang-related). Victim: 18-year-old Armondo Miguel Heredia, deceased.
Also included in the map to the right with a yellow pin because of its proximity to Campbell, but not part of the recent violent crimes:
- June 29, 11:25 PM at 1300 Block of S. Winchester (stabbing). Victim: 41-year-old Harry Clark, deceased.
Anyone with information about any of these cases is urged to contact the San Jose Police Department, Homicide Unit at 408-277-5283. Persons wishing to remain anonymous can call the Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers at 408-947-STOP (7867), or may visit:http://svcrimestoppers.org/.
Persons providing information leading to the arrest and convictions of the suspect(s) may be eligible for a reward.