.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Required In All Homes Beginning Friday

Alarms believed to help curtail avoidable death and injury.

It is a toxic gas that is odorless, tasteless and invisible and it could be lurking inside your home. Anyone can be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, which is why beginning Friday all new and existing homes in Campbell, and the rest of California, must be equipped with a functioning carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a silent killer, and tops the list of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with almost 500 unintentional deaths and more than 1,700 suicides related to CO poisoning. In California, up to 40 residents die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year. It is also estimated that as many as 15,000 people in the nation are treated annually for CO poisoning and many go misdiagnosed or unreported.

According to Julie Linney, senior deputy fire marshal with the Santa Clara County Fire Department, California’s Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act is a win-win for homeowners and fire officials alike.

“If you have any gas appliances that are leaking or sending off too much carbon monoxide, an alarm will sound letting the residents know that they are in danger,” she said. “You cannot smell, taste or see carbon monoxide, so an alarm will alert the resident, who in turn can safely leave the home and call 911 for officials to come in and detect it.”

CO is produced when fossil fuels burn incompletely due to insufficient oxygen. Sources include common household appliances such as the furnace, water heater, gas kitchen range or cooktop, gas clothes dryer or a fireplace. Additional sources include space heaters, portable generators, charcoal grills, wood-burning stoves or a vehicle idling in a closed garage. Any malfunctions, cracks or leaks in these appliances could cause carbon monoxide to seep, according to Linney.

Exposure to CO results in symptoms similar to the flu, with nausea, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, vomiting and an unusually rapid heart rate, according to the CDC. But too much exposure can kill a person in a matter of minutes.

Proper placement of a carbon monoxide detector is important, according to Linney. She says installing the detector near all bedrooms is key to its functionality. The alarm should be located near all sleeping areas, so the alarm will sound and wake up anyone who might be sleeping when the carbon monoxide hits the air. She recommends having an alarm installed on each level of any multi-level home.

Homeowners can purchase a plug-in alarm for less than $30 at any home improvement store such as  or department stores such as or . Homes can also be hardwired for a CO alarm, much like a smoke alarm, says Linney.

If the alarm sounds, residents should immediately move to fresh air and call 911, Linney said.

“You should open all the windows and doors immediately and leave the home immediately for fresh air and to call 911,” she said.

More information on how to protect yourself can be found on the Santa Clara County Fire Department’s website

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something