In a "Letter to the Editor," Campbell resident Ed Sengstack brings up the denial of a conditional use permit to allow a restaurant/nightclub at 400 E. Campbell Avenue, the site of the former Gaslighter Theater and the project's current appeal.
"The purpose of this Letter to the Editor is to increase community awareness of our position re:
- The applicant's appeal
- What we've learned about the proposed operator and their previous and current business practices
- Support for the Planning Commission's unanimous decision to deny the Conditional Use Permit on Oct. 25.
Honorable Campbell City Council Members:
I’m writing on behalf of the many Campbell citizens who attended the Oct. 25 Campbell Planning Commission meeting, as well as the 57 Campbell residents who signed a petition that was presented to the planning commission and who all together oppose the Melodann, Inc., CUP application for the former Gaslighter Theatre property.
Over the past month-plus, a group of citizens has met on several occasions to read through the appeal and perform a good amount of due diligence. We wish to submit several points for your consideration prior to the Jan. 3, 2012 Campbell City Council meeting where the planning commission’s unanimous vote to deny the application will be appealed.
The links below are provided as supporting pieces to the attached 'Council Cover Letter' (found to the right of this article).
We hope you'll take the time to open and read this letter... and to view the information below in conjunction with how it is referenced in the letter. We have made every possible effort to present our position as succinctly as possible.
Thank you in advance for your collective consideration with open minds to what we consider to be a very serious matter for the City of Campbell.
- Live from the Myth (8/27/11)
- $2 Tuesday Sabor 5-year Anniversary (6/8/10)
- Cuccini Night Club & Restaurant (posted 3/11/09)
- San Jose Inside, October 28,2009
- Mercury News, May, 3, 2008 (scroll down to the May 3, 2008, 10:57 PM posting)
The online petition to deny the appeal, which will be presented to the Council at the January 3, 2012 hearing can be viewed and signed here.