Yosemite National Park has issued a health alert for some visitors who stayed in the park from mid-June through the end of August. An outbreak of hantavirus, spread mainly by the urine and feces of infected deer mice, has killed at least two people and sickened an unknown number of other campers.
They all stayed in "Signature Tent Cabins" in Yosemite National Park's Curry Village. The park is contacting 1,700 past visitors who may have been exposed to the disease.
If you think you may have been exposed, see your doctor immediately.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , the illness is deadly in 38 percent of patients.
People infected with hantavirus show symptoms one to five weeks after exposure.
- muscle aches
- abdominal problems (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain)
- shortness of breath (lungs fill with fluid)
Are you Patched in? Get the FREE Patch newsletter each morning. Register here.