On the corner of Winchester and Hacienda avenues, near the southern border of Campbell, rests the (percolation ponds). The system of eight manmade ponds are an important part of the Santa Clara Valley water distribution system and are used to help replenish groundwater, which is water stored beneath the surface of the earth.
The recharge ponds receive their water from the Lexington Reservoir or from melting snow in the Sierra Nevada, which is eventually pumped and used throughout the valley, according to the information available at the ponds.
Groundwater is filtered through aquifers, layers of rock beneath the ground that naturally purifies water that travels through them. The Page Groundwater Recharge Ponds cover 14 acres of land. They went into operation in 1935 and were reconstructed in 1961 and 1965, according to Santa Clara Valley Water District.