People may say they prefer to read happy news, but the numbers don't lie. Of the top 10 stories on Campbell Patch in 2012, half of the most-read were about weird crime, tragic death and violence.
Here's a recap of the biggest news of the year, judged by how many people clicked through to read the stories.
- Former Campbell Real Estate Agent Accused in $1.2 Million Ponzi Scheme (August 6): Jill Silvey, 51, was booked into Santa Clara County Jail and charged with 44 counts of loan fraud, which authorities said took place between 2005 and 2011.
- POLL: Who Won the Vice-Presidential Debate? (October 11): The vice presidential debate between Vice President Joe Biden and Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan takes center stage.
- Poll: Romney vs. Obama: Who Won Round 1?(October 4): After months of stump speeches and negative ad campaigns, Americans saw the two presidential candidates face each other for the first time at the University of Denver.
- Where to See Space Shuttle Endeavour Flyover (Sept. 20): NASA has given some very general information about the flight route for that once-in-a-lifetime look at Space Shuttle Endeavor.
- California Proposition Guide: What You Need to Know About the Ballot Initiatives (Nov. 2): With less than a week left before Election Day 2012, the amount of political mailers and robocalls voters get continue to increase and this was a breakdown of each proposition.
- (April 14): San Jose Police Department responded to a report of a shooting on South Winchester Boulevard near Campbell.
- Latest 2012 Presidential Electoral Vote Maps (Nov. 5): Election Day 2012 is just one day away, and the presidential electoral vote situation is still up in the air.
- Police: Cyclist Killed Thursday Attempting to Cross Campbell Avenue (July 26): A 56-year-old man was reportedly attempting to cross the road on his bike east of La Pradera Drive when a vehicle struck and killed him around 6:25 p.m.
- Campbell Business Owners Charged with Running a House of Prostitution (Sept. 6): The massage establishment, owned and operated by Drych Powell and Tiffany Trinh was the subject of an undercover sting operation conducted by the Santa Clara County Special Enforcement Team in conjunction with the California Attorney General's Department of Justice's Task Force.
- Police Find Missing San Jose Teen (Oct. 31): Almost five days since a teen went missing from a Willow Glen neighborhood in San Jose, leads that came in helped find her, police say.
The wildcard: Campbell Pics & Clips. People loved the chance to post their own photos and click through to see what their neighbors were up to. Among photos you'll find scenic shots of the Campbell Water Tower and the Downtown Campbell Farmers' Market, photos of classic cars adn more. Best part? You can add your own shots to the gallery.
What were other big news stories this year in Campbell? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Don’t miss a thing in Campbell! Get the FREE Patch newsletter each morning. Register here.