Warm weather and early rains are leading to increased pest activity throughout the Bay Area. HomeTeam Pest Defense offer these five easy ways to help lower your risk of a pest infestation now and into the summer, and also help you pest-proof your backyard for the 4th of July backyard BBQ:
1. Eliminate water sources. All pests look for a source of water. Fix leaking pipes and taps to remove the water and humidity that pests, including mosquitoes, termites and ants, need to survive.
2. Seal potential entry points. Pests such as ants, spiders and mosquitoes find their way indoors through cracks and crevices around doors, walls and windows.
3. Turn off outdoor lights at night, or replace standard outdoor lights with yellow bug lights. Minimizing lighting outside your home will reduce the overall number of pests that swarm around your home.
4. If you store firewood, move it away from your home (and always wear gloves). Firewood can be a good hiding place for rodents, spiders and termites. The further from your house the better.
5. Cut back tree branches and bushes to keep pests away from the side of your house and roof. There should be at least a one foot gap between vegetation and your house.